Venus is delighted to announce the start of their 6-week volunteer training course. Clare, who ran the first week’s training, gave us the low down on what happened on the first week and how you can get involved if you’re interested.
“This week myself and Kati delivered the first session of the Volunteer Training. The training is for those that would like to volunteer at Venus or the Care Leavers Centre. The course involves 6 weeks of training that provides you with the basic skills and knowledge you may need when volunteering at Venus.
It also gives you an insight into the work we do from supporting individuals and families in their homes, attending appointments with clients, to being a listening ear within the drop in sessions.”
Many of the trainee volunteers on the course at the moment have had support from Venus and are looking to give something back. Tracey said “Venus did so much for me when I was going through a difficult time and now I would like to be able to help someone who maybe in need”.
Some of the opportunities available once participants have completed the 6-week training are listed below:
- Admin/Reception support – typing up information, copying, faxing, laminating, and answering the phone, etc.
- Driving – taking clients to appointments, bringing them to the centre, and driving the minibus on days out, etc.
- Drop in support – making tea and coffee, providing a listening ear, helping people make a phone call, etc.
- Intensive cleaning support – helping de-clutter, teaching cleaning skills, helping set up routines, etc.
- Children and Young Persons Groups – helping with activities, being a listening ear, offering advice, etc.
- Outreach Support – in clients’ homes, attending meetings and appointments, working more intensely.
So, if you would like to give it a try please contact the centre for an application form on 0151 474 4744.